Sous Chefs are expected to accomplish the following during each shifts:
- Monitor sanitation practices to ensure that employees follow standards and regulations.
- Maintain appropriate cleaning schedules for kitchen floors, mats, walls, hoods, other equipment, and food storage areas.
- Check the quality of raw or cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Check and maintain proper food holding and refrigeration temperature control points.
- Control food cost and usage by following proper requisition of products from storage areas, product storage procedures, standard recipes and waste control procedures.
- Instruct cooks or other workers in the preparation, cooking, garnishing, or presentation of food.
- Supervise or coordinate activities of cooks or workers engaged in food preparation.
- Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the BHG’s recipes, portioning, cooking and serving standards.
- Schedule personnel as required for anticipated business activity while ensuring that all positions are staffed when and as needed and labor cost objectives are met.
- Inspect supplies, equipment, or work areas to ensure conformance to BHG standards.
- Order food, equipment, or other supplies needed to ensure efficient operation.
- Ensure that all products are ordered according to predetermined product specifications and received in correct unit count and condition.
- Ensure that deliveries are performed in accordance with BHG’s receiving policies and procedures.
- Determine production schedules and staff requirements necessary to ensure timely delivery of services.
- Check the quantity and quality of received products.
- Plan, direct, or supervise the food preparation or cooking activities.
- Coordinate planning, budgeting, and purchasing for all the food operations.
- Make employment and termination decisions including recruiting, interviewing, hiring, evaluating, and disciplining kitchen personnel as appropriate.
- Oversee and ensure that restaurant policies on employee performance appraisals are followed and completed on a timely basis.
- Oversee and ensure that restaurant policies regarding personnel are followed, and administer prompt, fair and consistent corrective action for any and all violations of company policies, rules, and procedures.
- Oversee the continuous training of kitchen employees on kitchen equipment, utensils, cleanliness, sanitation practices, first-aid, proper lifting and carrying techniques, and handling hazardous materials.
- Demonstrate new cooking techniques or equipment to staff.
- Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the restaurant’s preventative maintenance programs.
- Prepare all required paperwork, including forms, reports and schedules in an organized and timely manner.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and offers suggestions for improvement.
- Coordinate with and assist fellow employees to meet guests’ needs and support the operation of the restaurant.
- Fill-in for fellow employees where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
A candidate for this position should be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Hospitality: Manages difficult or emotional guest situations; Responds promptly to guest needs; Solicits guest feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments
- Teamwork: Hospitality, gives and welcomes feedback, contributes to building a positive team spirit, puts success of team above own interests, supports everyone’s efforts to succeed, exhibits objectivity and openness to others views
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Technical Skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Participates in training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skill; Shares expertise with others
- Communications: Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings; Writes clearly and informatively; Able to read and interpret written information
- Leadership: Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others; Displays passion and optimism; Inspires respect and trust; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; able to build morale; Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound an accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Making timely decisions
- Managing People: Includes staff in planning, decision-making and facilitating; Takes responsibility for subordinates’ actions; Makes self available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Improves processes, products and services; Delegates work assignments; Matches the responsibility to the person; Gives authority to work independently; sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; Provides recognition for results; Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans
- Business Acumen: Understands business implications and decisions; displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals; Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources
- Organizational Support: Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Support organization’s goals and values
- Professionalism: Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments; focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas; Keeps commitments; Works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values; Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; changes approaches or demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events; Follows instructions and responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan
- Quality: Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality
- Quantity: Meets productivity standards; Completes work in a timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works efficiently
- Safety and Security: Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly
- Initiative: Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent action and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed; Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standards of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals; continually works to improve supervisory skills
- Diversity: Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educate others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-Free environment; Builds a diverse workforce
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform this job satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Education and/or Experience: One year certificate from college or technical school; or six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence and to speak effectively before groups of guests or associates.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages and volume.
- Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, and individual should have knowledge of/or experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and other computer programs.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Lifting, Pushing, Pulling, Carrying: Must be able to move loads of up to 100lbs. throughout the restaurant.
- Bending, Kneeling, Climbing: Bending, kneeling, and climbing to reach equipment and products will occasionally be required.
- Mobility: Must be able to fully utilize equipment and utensils with your arms and hands. You must also be able to continuously stand for long periods of time.
- Work Environment: Must be comfortable working with hot equipment, such as hot wells, as well as cold equipment, such as walk-in coolers.
- Hearing, Vision, Speech: Must be able to differentiate between colors. Able to effectively present information in one-on-one and group situations. Noise level during a regular shift will be moderate, but periods of loud sustained noise may occasionally occur.